Simplifying Unit Signup for Events & Summer Camp
Event signup simplification for units has arrived: the ability to upload your unit roster.
Just about every unit has a unit roster on a computer somewhere. Now you can cut and paste that roster into a form that we supply and upload that form onto your unit site. From then on, your future event and unit signups will be easier. You will be able to select Scouts from a drop down box and have all their information filled in automatically.
The Benefits of this Process Include:
- No more typing all your Scout’s information every time you sign up for an event
- No more searching for key information requested during an event registration
- No more “fudging” on the information you don’t have at your fingertips when you are signing up for an event.
- Information to the event coordinator will be accurate and will help the event coordinator meet your unit needs.
- Emails for Scouts (or their parents) will be accurate (if they are included in the upload) and your unit coordinator will not get multiple emails if an event-based notification gets sent out.
The Steps Are Fairly Simple:
- Gather your roster information
- Sign into your MyCouncil account (upper-right corner of this website) and go to your "Unit Roster" page on your unit site
- Click the "Tools" dropdown menu, select "Import Unit Roster"
- Click the "Download Template" link.
- An Excel spreadsheet opens. At the bottom, the "Read Me!" tab has instructions, the "Data" tab is where you enter your unit info.
- Enter your information into the template
- Going back to the "Tools" dropdown menu, select "Purge Unit Roster" if desired, to purge your old roster information
- Going back to the "Tools" dropdown menu, select "Import Unit Roster."
- Make a selection in the "Duplicates" dropdown menu.
- Next to "Choose File" click "Select"
- Click "Import File" to upload your new information.
Other than gathering your roster information and entering the information into the template in the correct format, the whole process should take just a couple of minutes. For the “experienced” individual the process is fairly intuitive and forgiving (you can always purge your roster and reload it).
Information You Need For The Roster:
- Required: BSA ID, First name and Last Name
- Recommended: email address (the parent’s for any Scout under 13, and can be the parents for any Scout 13+), address, date of birth, sex, and at least one phone number.
Besides your own files, you can get this information from:
A Special Note to Cub Scout Packs:
For many packs, centralizing the signup and payment for events is not something that you do on a regular basis. Often this is left up to individual parents, which appears simpler. Experience from other units shows that signing up by packs or dens helps them, and we encourage you to use the unit registration process.
Other units report that Pack or Den registrations:
- Provide a service to the parents and increases parent satisfaction with your pack
- Help organize your pack for events by knowing, in advance, who is signing up for events
- Give you access to an online and downloadable event roster
- Save money. Refunds are only available in limited situations. Swapping Scouts (Joey can’t come but Larry can) can only be done through a unit registration and ensures that all registrations are used.